Friday, September 11, 2015

Eggplant-Zucchini Lasagna

Eggplant season is currently in full swing, and unfortunately, this purple veggie often has people looking the other way, as they pass it in the grocery isle. And let me just say, I was never a big fan of it either, until last year, that is.

Last August, my mother urged me to check out a local eggplant festival. My first reaction was, "Really? There's an actually festival that celebrates eggplants? This thing really has its own celebration?" So basically, this festival was created to showcase the wide variety of meals and treats one can make using eggplant. Like, I'm talking pizzas, stews, stuffed peppers, sauces, dips, pickled items, ratatouilles, desserts, cakes, and, lasagnas!

Seriously, the lasagna I tried that day I visited the festival left such an impact on me that I wanted to learn to make it at home. One thing I really liked about it was that it contained no pasta noodles, but instead employed the use of sliced eggplant and zucchini. And honestly, less noodles and processed carbs only means more CHEESE. =D (And this preggo mama needs her calcium for baby, right?!)

To make the sauce for this dish, I decided to make a marinara sauce from scratch to keep things as whole and healthy as possible (the recipe I used only served as inspiration). It tasted so good in the end!

One thing though, if you are pregnant and making this, make sure to have a niceee foot massage lined up afterwards. When I was finished making this amazing meal, my feet were finished. Usually it's my back that gives me a hard time, but I am guessing that at 7 months pregnant and at 20 lbs later, the feet are feeling the pressure to say the least!

P.S. Contrary to popular belief, eggplant does not induce labour. I made a nice, big batch of ratatouille a few weeks ago, and there were no reactions, aka, Baby L is still baking in that oven of mine. So relax and enjoy this fiber-rich, oxidant-packed veggie in its many forms. :)

Now enough with all the talking, I'm sure you just want to make this lasagna already. So without further ado, here is my nutrient-dense, vegetarian and gluten-free twist on same-old lasagna. 




Ingredients:

  • 1.5 large eggplants, peeled and thinly sliced;
  • 2 large zucchinis, thinly sliced;
  • 2 tbsp olive oil (or enough olive oil to brush on these vegetables);
  • 1⁄4 cup olive oil;
  • salt + pepper;
  • 1 can (28 oz) diced or whole tomato;
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste;
  • 9 garlic cloves, sliced and diced;
  • 3 carrots, chopped;
  • ~7 leaves of fresh basil;
  • 3 tbsp dried parsley;
  • 1 pack mushrooms (~10), sliced and diced;
  • 3 big handfuls fresh spinach, cut up;
  • 1 tub (15 oz) Ricotta cheese;
  • 1 egg;
  • 1 tsp dried oregano;
  • 1 tsp dried basil;
  • 1½ cups Parmesan cheese;
  • 3 cups mozzarella cheese, divided;
  • crushed red chili pepper flakes; and
  • 1 cup water.

Directions:

  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Wash, peel and slice eggplants and zucchinis, then lay them flat on on parchment paper, in baking sheets.
  3. Brush them with the olive oil and sprinkle some salt and pepper, then place in oven for 12 minutes.
  4. To make your marinara sauce from scratch (my sauce of choice for this meal), combine crushed or whole tomatoes, 1⁄4 cup of olive oil, carrots, 2 cups of chopped spinach, fresh basil, mushrooms, salt, pepper, tomato paste, 7 cloves of garlic, crushed red chili pepper flakes and water. Keep on medium heat until carrots have softened then move to low heat and let simmer until ready to use.
  5. In a bowl, combine the Ricotta cheese, ½ cup mozzarella, egg, remaining garlic cloves, dried basil, oregano and parsley, remaining spinach, salt and pepper. Stir very well.
  6. Spread enough sauce to cover the bottom of the lasagna pan, and begin layering in this order: eggplant, zucchini, Ricotta-spinach mix, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and sauce. Repeat with remaining ingredients, but this time, your last layer of cheese will include the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
  7. Place in oven uncovered and bake for 30 minutes. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes before serving, and voila.
Buen apetito amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment