Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Cream of Broccoli Soup

Healthy Cream of Broccoli

I've been on a huge health kick for about a year and a half now, and any time I see a meal somewhere I am interested in making at home, I look for healthier alternatives. Not only is it better for myself, but I then know I am making responsible, health-conscious choices for my family.

Last week, I noticed that both broccoli AND cauliflower were on sale, so my ticker started ticking, and I thought of making a cream of broccoli soup using different ingredients. See, in my recipe, I find that using dried herbs to enhance the flavour trumps using heavy creams or loads of butter. Don't get me wrong though, creamy, buttery soups are awesome in the fall and winter and I wouldn't turn them down if you offered me some, but in the summer, you just want something lighter. Ya dig? Being pregnant, I especially appreciate feeling lighter. So thank you, healthy soups! (By the way, this recipe calls for SOME butter, so no panicking.)

And now, let's begin!

Ingredients:
  • 1 large cauliflower, washed+cut into florets;
  • 4 heads broccoli, washed+cut into florets (the store I buy them from sells them in couples);
  • 1 whole red onion, chopped;
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tbsp olive oil;
  • 5 cups 1% milk;
  • 2 cup organic, low-sodium chicken broth;
  • 2 tbsp butter;
  • 2 tbsp garlic salt;
  • 2 tbsp onion powder;
  • 2 tbsp dried parsley; and
  • salt & pepper to taste.
Directions:
  • Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium-high heat, and add garlic along with onions. Stir and add water on occasion to prevent burning.
  • Add milk and chicken broth, followed by cauliflower. Put the lid on (not fully covering the pot) and let it come to a boil as to soften the cauliflower, about 10-15 minutes. Note: Keep a close eye at this pointwhen milk reaches a certain temperature, it fizzes to the top and creates a mess!
  • Add broccoli to the mix, and let it soften.
  • Once broccoli is soft, start transferring what you can into your blender. Remember not to fill it too highabout ¾ of the way is good enough to avoid an overflow. Then place back in pot.
  • Once the whole batch has been blended, add your butter, garlic salt, onion powder, dried parsley, salt and pepper, and stir. Now do a taste test and add whatever you think should be added.
  • Once satisfied with the flavour, turn heat on low and let the soup sit for 10 minutes to let the different ingredients sink in together.
  • After that, serve and enjoy!
Tell me what you think and if this worked for you! :)

-Alesia D.
August 5, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment