Thursday, October 22, 2015

Kale-Quinoa Salad

So I tried this salad out at +Moxies last week while out for lunch with a girlfriend and totally thought it would be perfect to make at home: The ingredients are nothing crazy, prep time seems short, the flavour is awesome, it is packed with nutrients and you end up with a huge batch that will last you a few days. Sounds incredible, right? RIGHT?!

Last Saturday, we invited friends over for dinner, and since one of them has several types of food intolerances, I thought we could have an ultra-healthy dinner. That way, she could still enjoy her meal, and I could continue ensuring that my baby receives the best womb service possible (get it?). The meal consisted of: baked salmon, baked sweet potatoes and kale-quinoa salad. Truthfully, it was a very yummy and filling meal.

If I could describe the taste of the salad to you, I would not know how to articulate it. It has a very unique flavour, definitely not what I have been used to in terms of a salad. It is lemony, salty, sweet and nutty all at the same time. And best of all, it makes for a yummy treat for those who eat gluten-free foods and who are vegetarian! Quinoa is a great source of protein, kale is low in calories and high in fibre, sunflower seeds are the richest seed source in Vitamin E, raisins are high in iron... Should I continue? Nahh, it is okay, I'll pass. :P 

So here is the recipe I came up with!

Kale-Quinoa Salad

Ingredients:

  • 1½ cups quinoa, cooked with beef or chicken broth;
  • 1 bunch kale, chopped;
  • ¾ cup sunflower seeds;
  • ¾ cup raisins;
  • 3-4 tbs olive oil;
  • 1 full lemon, juiced;
  • 1/4 cup tahini;
  • 1-2 garlic cloves, diced;
  • salt;
  • pepper; and
  • drizzle Italian dressing.
Mix everything together. Adjust quantity of ingredients to fit your own personal flavour. Once finished, place in the fridge and let chill for about 20 minutes to let all the flavours set in.

I would recommend making extra quinoa in case you wanted to add more to the salad or even to have some extra for another meal, it never hurts :). I added the tahini in there because I really did not know what type of vinaigrette Moxies adds to their salad, so I experimented, and no one complained!






Enjoy the yumminess and tell me what you think!!!


Thanks,
-Alesia D.

Let's get social!
Come and join me on Instagram @ChezAlesiaDunn

Ever tried this recipe? Tell me what you did differently and your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment