Thursday, January 14, 2016

Quinoa-Crust Pizza

I was first introduced to quinoa-crust pizza this past summer... I can't remember where. But what I do remember is that I felt healthy after eating this lighter version of its not-so-healthy and not-so-light cousin.

The first time I attempted to make this, the crust was a little too thick, so when it came time to spread the pizza sauce on top, the "dough" just absorbed it all. Also because of the thickness, it tasted like I was eating a ton of rather bland quinoa. Mind you, I consumed an impressive amount of protein in that one sitting, but it mostly had no flavour and my taste buds did not appreciate it.

Then the second time I tried it, I added an extra ingredient, one that I would normally use when preparing quinoa as a side dish: chicken or beef broth. I added this handy flavour enhancer to the water these grains were soaking in, and when it came time to actually form the crust, I made it thinner. These two small changes made a big difference.

This recipe is good for people looking to find ways to incorporate more protein into their diet without over-consuming meats, for the parents whose children won't eat anything but pizza or for a foodie looking to simply try something new and rather simple.


The recipe I use makes between 3 and 6 pizzas (depending on how thick or thin you make them). Additionally, keep in mind that the quinoa is required to soak for at least 7 hours, so either prepare this portion early in the morning or the night before.

Quinoa-Crust Pizza

Ingredients:
  •  2 cups quinoa;
  • 1 cup broth of your choice (chicken or beef);
  • 1⁄2 cup water and enough water to cover quinoa;
  • 2 tsp baking soda; and
  • salt to taste.
Directions:
  1. Rinse quinoa with warm-hot water for a few minutes (did you know this is the correct way to prepare quinoa before cooking it or letting it soak?)
  2. Set oven to 425°F.
  3. Combine quinoa, broth and water, and let sit for at least 7 hours. Make sure to check on it every few hours and add water accordingly.  (Since the water will be absorbed, there will not be enough water for the grains that are on the surface.)
  4. Once the 7 hours are up, drain bowl, add quinoa, 1⁄2 cup of water, baking soda and salt to a food processor until it creates a batter!
  5. Line your pans (preferrably the 8" or 9" ones) with parchment paper and pour enough of the batter into each one. If you like, I suggest you make each pizza with varying crust sizes to see what you like best.
  6. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove parchment paper from underneath and flip to the other side for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until edges are nice and crispy.
  7. And now it's time to choose your toppings and get creative!
  8. Once you've added all your toppings, place in the oven for about 10 minutes.
  9. Enjoy!
Thanks for reading!

-Alesia D.

Let's get social!



Come and join me on Instagram @ChezAlesiaDunn

Ever tried this recipe? Tell me what you served it with, for which occasion, and don't forget to tag me when you make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment