Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Stress Busters -- Pregnancy Edition

Pregnancy often leaves you tired, distracts you from what you once loved to do and leaves you with a sense urgency to clean things, all the time. Well, at least for me, anyways.

Just last week, I was taking a look at my +Kate Spade agenda and realized I had not made true time for myself... To pamper myself and take a nice, long moment to appreciate what was happening to my bodyand to my whole entire world for that matter. Instead, I've been running around doing never-ending chores, washing an endless pile of dishes, getting baby Lukas's nursery ready (which requires a lot more brain power than I originally thought it would take) and taking care of/visiting our families, to whom my husband and I are both close, among other real-life responsibilities. Seriously, sometimes you just need a freaken' breather from it all. So I decided to take action and make a list of all the things that help me relax, whether they be simple or more complex. This list includes:

  • Getting a pedicure, once a month;
  • Getting a prenatal massage, once a month;
  • Taking up Yoga, once a week;
  • Walking through farmers' markets and buying fresh fruit and vegetables;
  • Making fresh smoothies using those fresh fruit;
  • Taking baths;
  • Grocery shopping alone, with no time constraints;
  • Lounging in the sun by a pool, whenever possible;
  • Going out for a walk with hubby, preferably downtown, at least once per weekend;
  • Watching some good old Real Housewives on +Slice TV; and
  • Anything else that takes my mind off the daily stresses and chores in life.
Once I reestablished what my interests were, I took to my agenda again and started planning. Here's a look at how July since my "aha!" moment:


Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday




1


2
3
4
5

6
7
8


9

10
11
12

13
14
15


16
17
18
19

20
AHA! moment
21
22
Pedicure @ 1:30 p.m.
23
24
25
26

27
28
Bubble bath + massage from hubby
29
30
-Prenatal massage @ 11 a.m.
-Berry picking
-Taking dip in nice, cold pool
31


This, my friends, is only the beginning. 

As I enter my seventh month of pregnancy in August, I have penciled in a few outdoor Yoga sessions, have another massage and pedicure booked, scheduled a few pool dates with friends and bought a few +LUSH Cosmétiques bath bombs to enjoy long soaks in my bath tub. I want to look back on this period in my life and see it as nothing short of fabulous and amazing. 

I want my baby boy to know that his mama loves and values herself enough to take good care of herself. I am hoping my actions today will help guide him into choosing a strong and confident woman tomorrow. I want him to feel love radiating from my body and spirit into my womb and ultimately into him. Because, how can you possibly love somebody else if you do not first love yourself?

I have to say, taking better care of myself by setting time aside for me has given me a sense of ease. Even by just looking at my agenda, I feel energized knowing I have positive things up ahead that will nourish my soul. And when I am nourishing my soul, I have no doubt baby Lukas is reaping the benefits just as much as I am.

Having said this, I encourage all moms and moms-to-be to set time aside for themselves. It is so, so important. Take a break from your busy schedule... You know you deserve it. :)

Thanks,

-Alesia D. 

Freshly pedicured #feet finished off with a French!
Best bath tub ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment