Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Mommy Time

As a new mom, I can relate to the feeling of wanting to be with my baby all the time. It is completely normal. I carried him in my belly for nine months, gave birth to him, and now I don't want to spend any precious moment away from him. It's completely understandable.

But I think that more often than not, us mommies tend to forget ourselves in the midst of motherhood and all that it brings into our lives. I know I was starting to experience that at first, any way. 

The first month is and should be about baby and creating a bond with him/her. But I think that a mommy should start doing things for herself and with her husband (or significant other) once she feels her "recovery" period is over. This could mean catching up with friends over coffee, going out for dinner and/or a movie with the husband or even just taking an uninterrupted nap alone. Find a reliable and trustworthy babysitter, such as your mother, other relative, a trusted neighbour or friend to watch your precious little one. Some adult time is good for the soul.

The first time I left Lukey alone, he stayed with my mother at about one month old. That day, I spent my time doing groceries, an activity I enjoy doing solo, and went shopping for some much-needed clothes. I made sure to do my makeup all nice and to wear clothes that made me feel good. When my alone-time was up, I had missed my baby, felt refreshed and was ready for him again.

It has been scientifically proven that when we do anything on an on-going or full-time basis, it is beneficial to take a time out every once in a while. This helps you rediscover yourself, regain perspective, increase your patience and even decrease your chances of getting post-partum depression. And remember, when you are relaxed, your children will be relaxed.

Since January, I have committed myself to the gym, and I strategically chose one with a daycare. It fits all of my needs. Every cardio machine has a TV where I can either watch a show or turn to the daycare channel and watch my son live. The caregivers know to call me if he has a diaper accident, is hurt, hungry or crying non stop, so I am always at peace when I go to the gym and know he is in good hands. And there is a nursery for breastfeeding mothers. Yes, it all costs extra (about $16 biweekly) but I am doing something I love wile feeling confident about whom my son is with, and that is priceless.

Plus, I want to show my baby and my future babies that only when we love ourselves can we genuinely love others.

What are your thoughts, mommies? I would love for you to share. :)

Thank you,

Alesia D.

No comments:

Post a Comment