Sunday, February 28, 2016

Vegan Blueberry-Lemon Scones

Last year, I discovered scones for the first time while I was helping a friend out with French grammar. Her mother made us some of the raspberry variety served with tea, while we studied away on a cold winter evening. They were very tasty and buttery, perfect as winter comfort food.

Fast forwarding a year, this mommy (me) is craving them and has decided to whip up a batch or two of her own. But this time, I wanted to have homemade ones that were healthier since I've been trying to get back on track with my pre-pregnancy habits and weight. So I started exploring vegan options.

The recipe I am proposing to you is for lemon-blueberry scones, as the title suggests. They are very, very light in flavour, as there is little sugar and no butter or egg. I recommend serving them warm and with a bit of salted butter (if you have no sensitivities to it) or even cinnamon honey, they taste simply delightful this way. Also, if you wanted to use different fruit, go ahead. I just so happened to have a pack of blueberries and a dozen lemons at home, just waiting to be used.

Personally, I tried them two ways: The first was with white flour and white sugar, and the second was with whole-wheat flour and brown sugar. And although they almost tasted the same, I think I preferred the whole-wheat version s.

Happy baking! :)








Vegan Blueberry-Lemon Scones
Serves 8

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups of flour;
  • 3 tsp baking powder;
  • ⅓ cup sugar (white, brown, your choice);
  • ½ tsp salt;
  • ½ tsp nutmeg+cinnamon;
  • 2 tsp lemon zest;
  • 2 full tbsp lemon juice;
  • 1 cup blueberries; and
  • 1 cup coconut milk.
Directions:
  1. Set oven to 400°F.
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon together in a bowl.
  3. Add washed blueberries to the mix. Combine until blueberries are covered in the dry mixture.
  4. Using a spatula, move dry mixture away from the middle of the bowl to make way for the lemon zest, juice and coconut milk.
  5. Combine all the ingredients with your hands, but do not overwork the dough, as this will cause the scones to be dense. The dough will be sticky, and that's okay. 
  6. Dampen your hands with water to help with stickiness, then pick the dough up and place it on parchment paper, then flatten until it measures about 9 to 10" in diameter.
  7. Sprinkle a little more lemon zest and a few more blueberries on top, then slice into 8 equal pieces to make it easier to separate when you remove this treat from the oven.
  8. Pop it in the oven for approximately 24 minutes, or until the surface is golden.
  9. Wait 5 to 10 minutes and serve warm!


Let's get social!
Follow me on Instagram @ChezAlesiaDunn

It would make my week if you tried this recipe, took a picture of the final results and tagged
on Instagram! Also, tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment