Saturday, February 6, 2016

Yummy Chicken Noodle Soup

Last week, I heard my husband commenting on how much he would like to have a bowl of hot soup at the end of his work day, so I decided to get the ingredients together and be a good wife. Since we've been trying to use up all the meats in our deep freeze, step 1 was to pull out them chicken thighs and put them to good use. (I am a complete meat hoarder. Some people collect stamps or lipsticks; I collect different cuts of chicken, beef and fish when they goes on sale.)

As I was making this delectable soup, it came to my attention that my neighbour-friend was suffering from a gastro, and since I a l w a y s make lots of extra when I cook any soup, stew or spaghetti sauce, I thought I would share.

Before I sent some over to her house, however, I needed my hubby's seal of approval. Thankfully, he loved it. (He always tells me he loves my cooking, but I wanted to ensure it was as good as it could be, since we weren't the only ones who would be eating it.)

A few hours passed, and my neighbour finally sent me a message saying that a) she and her family loved it and b) she was feeling better! Now I don't know if there is a correlation between this soup and her gastro going away, but I like to believe there is.

This soup is easy and fun to make as long as you enjoy cutting lots of vegetables.=D




So without further delay, here is my recipe:

Yummy Chicken Noodle Soup
Serves 8-12

Ingredients:

  • 6 litres water;
  • 2 lbs chicken thighs;
  • 1 pack +Barilla bow-tie noodles;
  • 1 +Knorr beef or chicken broth cube; 
  • 1 celery head, diced;
  • 1 large red onion, diced;
  • 4 red, yellow and/or orange peppers, diced;
  • 3-4 garlic cloves, sliced;
  • 10-15 carrot sticks; chopped;
  • 2 tbsp fresh or dried parsley;
  • 1 tbsp dried oregano;
  • 1 tbsp dried basil; and
  • salt + pepper to taste.

Directions:

  1. Bring water to a boil in large stock pot, then add chicken thighs and broth cube.
  2. While chicken is cooking, make sure all vegetables are washed well.
  3. One by one, add each vegetable starting with the carrots.
  4. Allow chicken to cook and all the flavours to blend on medium-high heat for approximately 1 hour.
  5. Once chicken is cooked, remove from the soup and shred using two forks. Then bring chicken shreds back to soup.
  6. Add all your herbs (including salt and pepper) and stir on medium heat. Leave your soup like this for about 30 minutes.
  7. Add noodles 15-20 minutes before serving.
  8. Bon appétit!
Thanks for following!

-Alesia D.

Let's get social!

Come and join me on Instagram @ChezAlesiaDunn

Have you tried something similar? Do you have any special ingredients you like to add to your soup? 
Tell me about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment