Thursday, February 4, 2016

Newborn No More

February 4, 2016, marks baby Lukey's three-month "birthday", if you will, and it also marks the day he is no longer considered a "newborn". *Pass the tissues please.*

Day 1! :)
These past three months have been filled with all types of emotions, from happiness to fear, joy to frustration, excitement to doubt. But the strongest emotion I have felt thus far has been love. Love, because every time I look at him, I see a miracle. A miracle that has not only doubled in weight since his birth, but a miracle that is transforming and learning new things with each passing day. This is the same miracle that evolved from a little seed-like thing into a full-sized baby, which I carried with me for nine magnificent months. 


This little boy of mine is settling into his personality and is so curious about everything in his surroundings. He is the reason I am who I am today, and he is the reason I am in awe, every day.


I found it a bit hard adjusting to a constantly crying baby for the first two months, but some time after that period, I somehow learned that if I made him sleep more in the morning and early afternoon, he would be less grumpy and cry less. For example, every time he woke up (about every three hours), I changed his diaper, then fed him laying down in a comfy spot until he fell asleep. So far, so good. This has been my biggest accomplishment so far!


At this point, baby Lukas has hit all his milestones; he comfortably lifts his head when on his tummy, pulls himself up into a seated position (with the support of your hands), looks at and follows objects, babbles and makes cute sounds, brings his hand to mouth, is beginning to grab various objects, and responds to different sounds.


I am proud to say that my little man no longer sleeps by my side in his bassinet. Nope, he has been sleeping in his crib for about three weeks like a big boy. He wakes up every 3 to 4 hours to feed at night, but goes right back to sleep *most* of the time. (Let's keep it real mommies, we all know this is not the case every time.)


He loves his bath time, particularly when you put a mirror in front of his face as he seems to be fascinated with his own face. He loves falling asleep during car rides, enjoys time with his grandparents, and always gives mommy and daddy BIG smiles when he is being changed. My heart melts every time he gives me those lovey eyes and smiles...


I would say we have a great bond being formed and solidified, and he trusts his mommy to be there for him.


Now that Lukas has grown out of his newborn state and settled into a routine, I have been making more time for myself by exercising and catching up with life. This time last month, I signed back up at the gym and have been going full force. I also signed up for dodgeball again (if you're looking for a sport that provides you with a GOOD and INTENSE workout, sign up, it will change your life). Now, going full force has left me with a few temporary injuries, like knee pain, back pain and even pulling a glute muscle (umm, ouch?!), but it has also helped me identify my new physical weaknesses. Thanks to a good workout plan, I have been able to strengthen my body and feel a lot less pain, if any at times.


Motherhood has also given me more confidence. I had it before, but not to the point of feeling comfortable enough to always speak my mind, especially around strangers. It is fascinating how one tiny human being can have this effect, and it is equally as hard to explain how this came to be. I am more sure of myself, more able to stand my ground and more capable of expressing my needs.


It has been a privilege watching little Lukas grow from newborn to infant, and I look forward to guide him through all of his stages in life, hand in hand. 







Let's get social!

Come and join me on Instagram @ChezAlesiaDunn

Are you expecting a little bun in the oven? What do you imagine your first three months with a newborn being like?


No comments:

Post a Comment